Spencer E. Palmer
Credited with expansion of the U.S. injection molding field. At Tennessee Eastman Co., instrumental in the development of an injection molding machine that was later built and marketed by HPM and Reed Prentice. This development unleashed the use of injection molding in the U.S. at a time when this cost-effective processing method was controlled by European machine manufacturers.
Palmer envisioned the plastics industry as one of supplying products for industrial end uses as well as consumer items. He insisted that Eastman technologists and scientists be made available to work with trade groups to establish standards and with government agencies to gain acceptance of plastics products.
During Palmer's long and valued career at Eastman, the firm's Plastics Division grew steadily under his able direction. In 1958, he became first vice president of Eastman Chemical Products. His reputation for integrity and fair dealing still is remembered by those who knew him then and throughout his career.
He served the industry as a director of SPI in 1938-1939, and as the association's vice president in 1950. He also was a charter member of The Plastics Pioneers Association.
He is survived by a son and a daughter.